At Aesthetic Family Dentistry, We Recommend Dental Sealants. Here’s Why…
As your dentist in Cary, we always have your, and your family’s, best interest in mind. It’s our job to help you keep healthy – in body and smile – and all of us at Aesthetic Family Dentistry take this very seriously. With a preventive view in everything we do, our goal is to intercept oral health issues before they happen … to keep you smiling.
Prevention includes (but is not limited to):
- Regular Checkups –We’ll schedule your regular dental recall appointments according to your level of health. Here’s what we’ll do at your recall visit:
- Check your gum health–We’ll always take a look at your gums and check their color, the pocket depths, how well they support your teeth, if there’s any infection (gingivitis or early gum disease and/or periodontitis or advanced gum disease)
Request Appointment Online
- Check your tooth health – Do you have any chips, cracks, or decay? And if so, how do we fix the damage to prevent further deterioration and pain and restore function and beauty?
- Ensure restorations are sound –Restorations such as crowns, fillings, bridges, and bonding don’t last forever. We’ll make sure everything is working as it should so that your smile health isn’t compromised.
- Education – If we see any problem areas, we’ll explain the cause and explain why repair is necessary. We’ll also discuss with you a proposed treatment so that together, we can intercept any future damage or further unnecessary damage.
Aside from regular checkups, one of the most-simple things you can do for your oral health – besides keeping an excellent home care routine of brushing at least twice a day and flossing once a day – is to consider dental sealants for yourself and your children.
What are dental sealants?
Dental sealants are a very thin liquid plastic coating that is applied to the chewing surfaces of your teeth (usually the molars and premolars) to protect them from decay-causing bacteria. Because it’s applied in liquid form, sealants seep into the deep pits and fissures on the tooth surface, creating a protective shield over the enamel. The sealant is applied like paint and is completely comfortable. There’s no need for anaesthetic as it’s completely painless – in fact, you practically won’t feel a thing.
Dental sealants are ideal for:
- Children who are unable to brush their teeth effectively
- Anyone who keeps a less-than-ideal homecare routine – ideal for toddlers, children, teens, adults, and seniors – there are no restrictions!
- Patients who have mobility challenges and find it difficult to brush using the proper technique or for the recommended length of time
- Those suffering from dementia and whose oral hygiene is irregular, whether due to memory or to an unpredictable routine
- People with naturally deep pits and fissures in their molars. (Did you know that everyone’s teeth shape is unique? Just as unique as your fingerprints? Even identical twins don’t have identical teeth.)
Benefits of dental sealants include:
- Cavity Prevention. While we can brush tricky areas where bacteria like to hide, toothbrush bristles can’t always reach to the bottom of a groove in a tooth to clean it. Sticky foods (usually we think candy like toffee, but consider popcorn too!) can get deep into the crevasses and even though you may think you’ve done a good job brushing, residue can easily remain. By sealing these grooves off after a professional cleaning, it eliminates the crevasses and teeth cleaning becomes much easier. The liquid sealant material “pools” in the pits and fissures, making their surface much smoother and easier to clean.
- Easy application. Having a dental sealant placed on one or more teeth is a simple, non-invasive treatment. The tooth is simply prepared,and well cleaned, and the sealant material is brushed on using a paintbrush-like tool. The sealant is then cured with a safe ultraviolet light that’s small enough to fit inside your mouth comfortably.
- Fast application. As your dentist in Cary, I can assure you that the time it takes to get dental sealants placed is quick – about only five minutes per tooth. They can be placed during your routine hygiene appointment, or at a short sealant-only appointment.
- Less costly than fillings. Most insurance companies will cover dental sealants until your child has reached the age of 18, and sometimes for adults. That’s because the cost of sealants far outweighs the cost of restorations and treatment due to tooth decay … fillings, crowns, root canals, or even extractions. We can help you determine your coverage.
- Attractive. Dental sealants match natural tooth color, so they blend in. Laugh out loud because you can feel confident that no will even know they’re there!
- Durable. Your regular homecare routine is all you need to care for your dental sealants. Avoid crunching hard foods like candy to help them last up to 10 years. We’ll check them regularly for chips or wear and will recommend replacement as necessary.
- Effective. It’s been proven that sealants may reduce the risk of decay by nearly 80% in molars. And the Centers For Disease Control says that “school-age children without sealants have almost three times more cavities than children with sealants.”
Prevention saves time and money … and smiles! Please ask us about dental sealants and how they can help your family members of all ages. At Aesthetic Family Dentistry, we’re here to help. Call (919) 535-4656 today – new patients welcome!